Traumatised man lost his job after being brutally glassed by ex-soldier in pub

A man brutally glassed by an ex-soldier in a pub has spoken out about the traumatic impact the attack has had on him.

Declan McLaughlin was set upon by Christopher Darcy in a boozer in Mossley, Greater Manchester, in 2018.

The vicious New Year’s Eve assault was captured on CCTV.

Mr McLaughlin was attacked after walking over to Darcy, who was tending to his girlfriend on the floor of the Commercial Inn.

The victim had gone to check if the woman was well – when the assailant grabbed a wine glass and smashed it over his head.

The pair then got into a violent melee, before Darcy was quickly escorted out by other punters.

Appearing at Minshull Street crown court on Wednesday, Darcy was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison.

He pleaded guilty to wounding with intent.

And Mr McLaughlin has now spoken of the trauma he still experiences day-to-day almost three years on.

“I’m still traumatised, it still doesn’t feel real,” he said.

“I have got counselling as it has affected me. It’s not left me, I’m not the same person I was.”

Mr McLaughlin recalled walking into the pub to see Darcy’s girlfriend lying on the floor.

The court was earlier told that there was a suggestion her drink had been spiked.

He said he went over to “see if she was okay” and began chatting with Darcy, to which he said there was “nothing malicious”.

“We were just having a conversation, then he just picked the glass up,” he said.

“It was all of a sudden, it was that first hit and then he was gone.”

Mr McLaughlin was left with a six centimetre cut to his cheek and a seven centimetre cut to his neck.

The court heard in a statement that he has since lost his job due to stress and still has scarring on his face from being glassed.

He said: “Because of that, everything affected me. I was having panic attacks, I was breaking down in work.

“I had to have time off, I felt sick about what happened and my job had to let me off.”

Ben Williams, defending, told the court that his client previously served in the armed forces in Afghanistan.

He has since suffered with PTSD and “unresolved anger”, it was said.

He said Darcy, 27, was a “powder keg” and had “seen things he shouldn’t have to see”.

A judge sentencing him told him he had used “swift” and “aggressive” movements.

Mr McLaughlin said he felt disappointed in the sentence, stating that the lowest prison sentence he could get was three years.

“He has previous convictions for assault which proves what type of person he is,” he said.

“It took me to go to court twice. He just gets six months more than the lowest he could have got and he will just do the 17 months or something.

“There’s nothing I can do.”

Since the attack, Declan has struggled to find the words to describe how it has affected him.

“Mentally I have suffered,” he said.

“I’m waiting for counselling and I am still on medication from the doctors.”

Darcy, of Somerset Road, was jailed for three years and six months, of which he will serve half in custody before being released on licence.